Wednesday, January 2, 2013

An Awful Bout of Tendonitis

Sometime in the beginning of November (2011) I was painting and being my typical artsy self when all of a sudden I got a sharp debilitating pain in my painting hand. I didn't think much about it and just figured that if I put a splint on it for a day or two it would go away on it's own. I was stubborn and ignored it for as long a few days and then finally went to the doctor and was diagnosed with Tendinitis (an inflammation of a tendon due to overuse).

Well, that was two months ago and here I am in the beginning of January with the same Tendinitis. I've been to the doctor twice and even though the pain level has decreased, it still bothers me. On my last visit they referred me to a hand surgeon. So, that's my plan today: call the surgeon.

(I have to wear one of these things)

I don't need surgery at this point but apparently he is the only one who can inject a shot of Lidocaine in the tendon that is injured (my thumb tendon). They told me that they can give me a total of 3 shots (on different visits of course) and if that doesn't loosen it back up then I will have to get physical therapy and if THAT doesn't work then we will talk surgery. And that freaks me out, that and permanent damage.

If it was my left hand (aka my non-dominant hand) then I wouldn't have such an issue but this is my right hand, my bread and butter, the hand that I use for most day-to-day activities and the hand that I draw with, paint with, write with and blog with. I couldn't imagine losing sensation in it, or worse, having permanent damage.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful to have the use of both of my hands and would be grateful still to at least have one good hand should something go terribly wrong, but that being said I'd much rather prefer to keep both hands going strong. I have recently attempted to train my left hand to do art but it's very frustrating and an incredible challenge.

So that's where I have been: recuperating during an involuntary two month art break.

That's the bad news. The good news is that my hand seems to be good enough to start blogging again so I'm hoping to do more of that if nothing else. My blogging may not be entirely consistent at the moment due to sporadic and uncontrollable flare-ups but I will do my very best to keep in touch until this is all sorted out.

(I seem to being doing well so far - this is my 2nd blog post in two days! Yay!)

I hope you are all having a wonderful year so far. Do you have any resolutions?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...