Monday, August 6, 2012

Kate & Leopold - Media Monday



I long for a slower time. The kind of time that rainy days are made of. I crave cobblestone streets, gas lanterns, long walks, good books and silence. I often daydream of rustic homemade foods such as freshly baked bread, pastas and gardens full of organic soils, vegetables and herbs. I crave a life much slower than the present day, an era that I know nearly nothing about, an era where it is socially acceptable for women to stay home with their children, a time before the television and iPhone's were created. 

Oh, to be able to choose a different time frame to live in. It is curious, isn't it? That we live in one period of time but often wonder what it would be like to live in another. These are the things that made me fall in love with Kate & Leopold. Not that they showed too much of what it was like to live in a simpler time, but the glimpses that were shown were beautiful. Maybe not so much the front scene that most of us will notice (when the uncle argues with Leopold), but the dresses, the dances, the buggy carriages, etc (the only downfall are the 1800 politics). And then, in the blink of an eye, the scene changes again to a modern New York day and we watch Kate's life unfold.

The back and forth between time is brilliant and the way that Leopold reacts in Kate's modern world is hilarious and endearing. As much as I wonder what it would be like to take a jump back in time, I also wonder what it would be like to watch someone jump forward to our time now. Have you seen this movie? I highly recommend it if you haven't, especially if your mind wonders occasionally about what the past was like without all of the modern day riff raff. :)


2 comments:

hula-la said...

Love the new look, Lynda! I've been away for abit, but now I'm bloggin' without obligation...

Angela said...

I love this movie!! Since moving to England from the US a few years ago, I'm constantly amazed by the blending of ancient and new that is found here :-) I see glimpses of what that simpler time was like in the old buildings and architecture and daydream about what it must have been like to live in such a way!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...