Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Ghost Story - Tuesday Treasury

I wonder about ghosts. Do you?

I guess it's because I've had so many experiences with them.

Once, I jumped up from a dead sleep and saw a silhouette of a cowboy staring at me in silence from my bedroom doorway.



My son refused to sleep in his room for years because he was convinced that a ghost was "hanging out" in there.

I've had experiences where my television has shut off all by itself. Not the way TVs shut off now where the whole screen goes blank at once. I mean the old way. The way the television show morphs into a gray ball before disappearing into nothingness.



A few years after those events, I moved out of that house and into a house that I knew I'd regret moving into. While it was calmer as far as activity goes, it was the house that creeped me out the most. I never had the guts to walk one step into one of the rooms because it was eerie and had a strange energy. Eventually, I moved out of that house too.

Now I live in a house that is warm and cozy.



I felt much better about moving into this one. The energy felt nice and calm and the sun would shine in through the windows. But then weird things started happening there too.

One night, I fell asleep on the couch and woke up at 2 a.m. all sweaty like it was a million degrees. Usually I am a sissy during the winter season so it's not surprising that my heater was on. But then, as I decided to go outside for some fresh air, I realized that I had left my phone on the couch. So, as any person would do, I turned my head to look and see where it was. And then it happened.

I saw a ghost. A real, scare the bajesus out of you ghost. It was a little girl, maybe 8 or 9 years old. She was sitting in the chair next to the couch. Silent. Still. Head down. Hands in her lap. She had long dark hair and was wearing a white dress. She really did look like the girl from the movie The Ring. That was about as much detail as I could gather before I shrieked like a baby and quickly looked away. Finally I got the courage to look back, but without a sound, she had vanished into thin air.



Soon after, I started hearing a little girls voice say my sons name. "Michael"......"Miiiiiichael." The way she said his name wasn't menacing but innocent like she wanted to play. I never mentioned it to my son because to be frank, I thought maybe I was going a little crazy. But then, once again, my son did not want to stay in his room. "There's a ghost in there mom. Sometimes I hear funny things and it freaks me out."

He went to school one day and I was home alone. Then I heard it again. "Michaaael". Out of nervousness and irritation I quickly replied out loud, "Look, you need to leave him alone. If you want to stay here, that's fine..as long as you leave him alone. I don't want you talking to him or scaring him in any way and if you can't do that then you have to go." Then, just like magic, we never heard the little girls voice again.

However, lately we have been experiencing some new stuff. About a month ago, I was walking up the stairs when all of a sudden I heard in a husky male voice, "What are you doing here?" That voice was as clear as a sunny day too. It was not the neighbors voice, my son was gone for the night and my boyfriend left for work. It caught me so off guard that the only thing I could muster up to say was, "Me? I live here. What the F*ck are YOU doing here?" and then I ran and hid under my covers.

Lol...I admit that how I responded was rude but when you get caught off guard like that, well, it's not like you're going to be all prim and proper right?

Anyway, my friend and her baby came to stay for a couple of weeks soon after that. After the first night my friend told me that her son kept talking to someone who wasn't here, late at night and was clapping his hands and giggling as if he was playing a game with someone. We continued to watch him for the days following and let me just say, if I didn't believe that kids could see things that adults can't before, I definitely believe it now. He played and talked and laughed and pointed and said things like, "bye bye" and "night night" to thin air. He would sit and watch the front door. We watched him look around like he was watching someone move, like this:



Now, maybe the average person would freak out or get their house blessed and to be honest, I've thought of that and have freaked out a bit. Recently, I've tried to tell them to leave like I did before because I've watched enough ghost shows to know that it works. But you're supposed to sound all authoritative and well, I didn't quite say it that way because I felt a little guilty.

I bet you wonder why I felt guilty? I will tell you why. They've never hurt us or moved things around to put us in danger. They've never said anything nasty. And while they may have showed themselves to us a time or two, I don't feel like they ever meant us harm. Maybe they just thought I was comfortable enough to see them.

So this is where my curiosity comes into play. You see, I'm weird. I am. If you haven't figured that out yet, I'm sure someone else would be more than happy to explain said weirdness to you. I just have this weird way of thinking outside the box.

For instance, instead of assuming they're evil and wanting to move out, I think about things like:

* They were people too
* Once upon a time, they had families of their own
* They probably have feelings (I'm sure they did not appreciate me cussing at them)
* What were they like in their lives?
* What time frame did they live in?
* Were they happy?
* Maybe they are drawn to my weirdness.
* Maybe they aren't really strangers, but spirits that were once the people I loved most in this world?


(This image is from my personal collection. Feel free to use it as you wish, but if you do use it for art purposes, please let me see! I love other peoples' art :)

So you see, maybe they aren't bad. Maybe they are great story tellers that keep you company on cold and lonely nights. Sparks to your imagination and guides to light up your life. Or maybe, just maybe, they think you're a good friend and feel comfortable around you. Maybe YOU give THEM comfort on those cold and lonely nights.

Sure, the unknown is scary, but more than half of the decisions you make during your lifetime are just that: Unknown and Scary. :)

And that my friends, is what today's Etsy Tuesday Treasury is all about.





These stories are true. However, I did borrow some of the images. You can find the borrowed images by clicking on the title below:

Cowboy Image
Poltergeist Image
The Ring Image

3 comments:

Samantha Gallup said...

I liked the way that came out. you are such a good story teller.

Debbie said...

Good job Lyn!

Diane said...

Oooh Lynda, I could talk to you for hours--I LOOOVE this kind of stuff--even though it scares me ALOT! (I know--fear of the unknown) But when you put it the way you put it, it's not so scary.
I'm going to see Paranormal Activity 2 today. The first one really really scared me, but I can't stay away from this one :)
After I saw the first one, for about a week, I thought that every noise in my house was paranormal!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...