Friday, October 15, 2010

Halloween Party 2010 - Haystack Landing



Let me tell you all a scary story. A story of murder, mystery and more importantly, a tale that lurks only a few miles from my home.

For many years, I would go by this abandoned and condemned house and look upon it with great respect and curiosity. I would hear tales of teenagers driving by at night, breaking in and then watching with horror as something paranormal happened right before their very eyes. There have been rumors of ghosts, death, and people suddenly disappearing. This was a house that one could not look at without shuddering and getting goosebumps. This place, this house, is considered one of the most haunted places in Sonoma County.

And so goes the tale of Haystack Landing.

If you dig into the history, you will find that Native Americans vehemently considered this area to be evil and taboo.



They believed what they thought to be true about this place, and tried to warn the Spanish settlers. Only, the settlers did not listen.

One day, a missionary was found dead from self inflicted wounds after trying to bless and cleanse the area. During that time, Haystack Landing also became a place for ships to dock their boats on their way back from San Francisco.

Soon after, reports started flooding in that some settlers went crazy and murdered farmers and other innocent people. There were more rumors of people seeing apparitions and other things that could not be explained such as mass suicides and fires.

Horrible reports have circulated about this place that date all the way back to the 1800s. You can read more about the history here.

Many years later, a professor of parapsychology brought his students to the Haystack Landing house to investigate the happenings. During the investigation, one student went back to the hotel to get something. When he returned, rumor has it that the students and professor were either missing or dead (Unfortunately, I cannot remember which way it was).

In 2004, there was a plan to build upon the property to create a marketplace but by 2007, the house had burned down. Some people believe that the home was burned to the ground intentionally.

This area, especially the home, has created such a stir that a movie was made about it. That movie is called, Incident at Haystack Landing.



There are people who don't believe. Skeptics and critics are quick to judge. As for myself, I'm a believer. The question is....are you??



P.s. While I did write this myself (No copying or pasting), I did find all of the information and photos for this post here

I would also like to take a moment to thank the amazingly wonderful Vanessa for hosting todays Halloween blog party. THANK YOU VANESSA! By the way, she is one of my most favorite blog reads. You should definitely check her out, which you can do here :)



Spooky dreams my friends, don't let the ghosts bite ;)


31 comments:

Such a Wondrous Place this Faery Space said...

Great job! Blessings and enjoy the weekend!

Faerie Moon Creations said...

Oh, that is super spooky!!! Thanks for giving me a chill (most fortunate I read this in the daytime!).

I would be most delighted if you came to visit my enchanted Halloween Faerie Tale & giveaway:

http://faeriemooncreations.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-faerie-tale.html

Enjoy the parties!
Theresa

Paper Pile Kitten said...

Spooky house! Thanks for the party invitation. :)
Stop by my Halloween party if you'd like:
http://www.paperpilekitten.com/2010/10/a-magic-halloween-party-enter-at-your-own-risk.html

Sophia said...

What a super job writing the story. I'm seriously impressed! I am so loving your party going on here...I want to explore more....

Check out Harrington Manor Ball today.

Cameron said...

I had no idea....ooooo...gives me chills to think about it :O

Thanks for the spooky facts :)

Buccaneers and Ball Gowns said...

What a great story! That house does look super creepy so I am certain that the tales are true!

Wendy said...

I love, love, love stories like these and always want to visit places that have such a haunted past. Someday I will visit the "Haystick Landing." Thank you for the tour.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

Wow! Nice story! That house looks super creepy!!!

Lindsey

Fair Rosamund said...

Ooh, fabulous story! I love hearing about spooky old houses :) Thank you so much for having me over to your party! :) ~Lauren

Lisa Ladrido said...

I love your blog and your post, what a story. I think I am going to see if I can find that movie, would love to see it.

Your newest follower here from Vanessa's Halloween Party!~Lisa
Happy Halloween

Susan said...

Very cool indeed Lynda, and I totally believe in ghosts...I used to babysit in a haunted house for over a year when I was 14-15...spooooky!

I am now a follower. :) (I'll be back to read all the info on haystack)

Did your get your PM prize pack from me yet?

Peace,
Susan

Please visit:
http://piecesoffatesusan.blogspot.com/

Kelly Jeanette said...

It certainly looks spooky. And that was a chilling tale.

Do come and join me at my party at http://kellysalteredart.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-party-2010.html

D.Suplicki said...

What an eerie history that place has, yet it looks so docile in the photos from when it was still standing. I love strange history and abandoned places, so this party post was right up my alley.

If you'd like, please stop by and visit with me.

Róisín said...

That was chilling! Definitely the scariest post so far. I loved it :) Happy Halloween!
Roisin x

http://childofdanu.blogspot.com/

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

I love love love spooky tales! How fascianting, I now want to see the movie! Ooooo, goosebump goooodness!!!

Thank you for sharing the magic!

♥, Vanessa {A Fanciful Twist}

http://afancifultwist.typepad.com said...

can you tell I am tired? I meant fascinating ;) tee heeee!

Annabelle said...

I adore ghost stories but of the friendly kind such as Casper. A Spooky good spook!

Happy Halloween !
~^..^~ Annabelle

I'm giving three art prints away for this special occasion so do drop in for a chance to win something Halloweenie if you like.

http://thewoodbeyondtheworld.blogspot.com/

Fantasy Whispers - Vania Cruz-Perez said...

Thank you for having me over at your celebration for this great blog party!

When you get a chance hop on over to my blog for a chance to win two of my giveaways...two Mini Witch Hats...

http://fantasywhispersblog-ooak.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-party-and-2-giveaways-2010.html

Vania

Renee said...

Spooky story. Enjoyed it.

http://nananaysgarden.blogspot.com/2010/10/halloween-party.html

Shell said...

A truly spooky tale. I'm a believer. Some places just have bad energy that never goes away.

Aurelia said...

Oohh wow, great post! I love hearing about stories like that, especially this time of year :)

This has been my first blog party but I've had such a good time so far!

http://modernwomans.blogspot.com/2010/10/something-witchy-this-way-comes.html

Michelle Cummings said...

what a wonderful party!


Hope you'll come visit mine and my post(s) for all of October!
http://faeriedustdreams-michelle.blogspot.com/

Scrap Vamp said...

Great post, story, and photos! Thank you for sharing them! I hope you'll come visit my party as well!

~Celina
forevervampress@aol.com
http://scrapvamp.blogspot.com

Elizabeth Barczynski said...

oh yes! I love a good creepy story that sends shivers up my timbers.

When you have the opportunity please come over for a visit!
http://wood-wings.blogspot.com/2010/10/midnight-ride.html

Romeo said...

Whoa! Very interesting! And with all that has happened, it would be pretty hard to deny that something is not right there!

Thanks for sharing your ghost story!

Romeo and "her"

Lisa Lectura Creations said...

Hy Lynda! Creeptacular post! Abandoned places like this freak me out. Thanks for sharing the information you found out. A perfect story for the party. Happy Hauntings! :)

Marina Capano said...

Great spooky history!
I was afraid!
Happy Halloween!!

booooooooooooo from so far away!

visit me anytime...

Plumrose Lane said...

What a cool posting, loved hearing about the local folklore! I happen to believe in such things ~ there are some places we just shouldn't mess with.
♥Sharon

p said...

so cute.
we wont....

make-your-own-invitations.com

Samantha Gallup said...

ahh still creapy just thinking about it..lol

Wes! said...

What is there now? Any new pictures of that place?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...