Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Sense Of Smell



I am the kind of person that searches for happiness in the little things. It helps me deal with negativity and stress. If you haven't already, you will probably hear me talk a great deal about those two words. Negativity and stress. I am a very sensitive person by nature so I am constantly fighting to conquer these two enemies. In fact, this specific fight of mine continually shows up in my work both as a way to get it out of my system, and as a way to inspire others to conquer these things as well. You can read more about myself and this topic, as well as how art has saved me here.

Some people say that you need to take time to smell the roses. Roses are very lovely and smell beautiful, but I like to extend that saying to other things as well. Like the smell of a new or used book for example.

To me, nothing beats the smell of a fresh canvas. Call me a crazy artist but I have good reasoning. The moment you purchase one, it feels like Christmas. It is clean, crisp, new and packaged in plastic. As an artist, I can easily compare a new canvas to when people find a 20 dollar bill. It's exciting and the moment I pick it up, my mind starts frantically visualizing what will be done with it. Within five minutes I have thought about using a palette knife, finger painting, acrylic, beeswax. I conjure up ideas like monster houses, cups of tea and places full of wonderment. (Speaking of wonderment, one has to wonder if wonderment is actually a wonderful kind of word?) Canvases are a new beginning. Kind of like wiping the slate clean. And a person like me finds this to be extremely refreshing and enjoyable.

So from my artistic mind to yours, the next time you get a new canvas, I hope that you will take the time to live ridiculously and smell what I define as pure joy. And for those of you who are not artists, I hope you really take the time to stop and smell the roses :)

2 comments:

Charli Armstrong said...

Great post! I feel the same way!

hula-la said...

Love it! And once again, you have inspired me to create...something...though not sure what just yet. Recently, my brother inlaw was in a serious car accident, leaving him in a wheelchair with limited leg use. I bought him a bunch of art supplies, sketchpad, watercolors, pastels, and such to keep his hands and mind occupied. Art is truly a wonderful tool and a "WONDERMENT" indeed... Keep at it Lynda.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...